Do you know what month it is?

There’s not a lot of people that knows that January is said to be a month of awareness. And not awareness of just anything. It is Human Trafficking Awareness month. And today, the 11th of January, is the main day. I didn’t know this myself before recently, even though I’ve worked with victims myself.

Did you know that there are more slaves today than any other time in history? 21 million people. In all continents. That can’t possibly be true, you might think. Believe it or not. That’s the fact. Between 1450 and 1900 there where about 11.3 million slaves in the world. Today, the statistics tells us that there are “born a victim of Human Trafficking” ever 15 seconds. About 25% of victims of Human Trafficking are children, the other 75% is grown ups which have become victims of forced labor and sex industry. They are controlled and exploited for profit. The profits generated from human trafficking are 32 billion dollars a year.

If you read between the lines here, you might see that it seems impossible to do anything about this. Well, there are actually a lot a single person can do. Firstly, you can tell others, YOU can make others aware of the situation. If people don’t know that the problem exists, people won’t be able to care about it. By learning about the situation, many people get compelled to try to do something about it. If you’re still reading, it’s a possibility that I have been able to get one more person aware today, and if so, you have made my day!

So what more can you do to help? Preventing the problem is in my opinion the most effective way of trying to eradicate Human Trafficking. My own heart beats for less fortunate girls in Thailand, and I will tell you why.

Girls from lower income families in Thailand have little to no chance of obtaining a decent future. Most of them have to leave school at the age of 13/14 to provide for their families. Many becomes pregnant at an early age, the government has even established programs for preventing youth pregnancy, but this program is for those who are still in school. In addition, Thailand is the epicenter of human trafficking for sex and labor. Youth often fall prey due to extreme poverty, lack of educational opportunities and an obligation to support their families. Youth need solid education to successfully escape this fate!

Having worked at a shelter for children and victims of human trafficking, has given me an exclusive insight in how to solve this step by step. I am also married to a Thai, and get to know both the culture and the system from the inside. I believe that the solution is to give as many girls as possible the possibility to take higher education. Starting with one at the time, I will slowly build up the program to include more and more girls. The main criterias for participating in the program is to come from a low income family and to obtain good grades in school (above average).

If you are interested in knowing more, that be Human Trafficking in general or my own little project, please feel free to contact me. I am going to do my part as a fellow human, I am going to carry as many as I can on my back to prevent human trafficking from happening to as many as I can. Will you? Rest assure, you’ll hear more about this from me. Thank you so much for taking the time to read through this blog post!

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *